Upcoming Works

Across Oxfordshire, various network suppliers carry out ongoing works to enhance broadband and mobile services. These efforts aim to improve connectivity, boost data speeds, and ensure seamless communication for residents and businesses.

Find Out More About Upcoming Works Near You

If you would like to find out more details about upcoming road works in your area, you can use the live map available at one.network and search for your post code. You can choose to look at the current day or see a forward view of up to 12 months, and you can view more details of an upcoming notice by clicking the icons on the map. Please note, as the name suggests, this is a live system and is regularly updated with new notices.

Why Are Suppliers Carrying Out Digital Infrastructure Works? 

The UK government is focused on improving connectivity for the whole of the UK. If you would like to find out more, the government has provided more details in its National Infrastructure Strategy. You can skip to page 31 on this PDF version of the strategy for the section on Digital Connectivity. 

The government has ambitious targets, and aims to reach a minimum of 85% gigabit-capable coverage by 2025, with further rollout aiming for as close to 100% as possible by 2033.

Therefore, the government expects the private sector to deliver gigabit-capable broadband to around 80% of premises in the UK. The remaining 20% of premises that are harder to reach and less likely for suppliers to make a return on investment will be uncommercial, and the government will subsidise the roll out of broadband to such premises through Project Gigabit. 

The Electronic Communications Code

The Electronic Communications Code is a set of rules that governs the rights of designated electronic communications operators (such as broadband and mobile network providers) to install and maintain infrastructure on both public and private land. This infrastructure includes networks supporting broadband, mobile internet, telephone services, cable television, and landlines. Essentially, it outlines how these operators can place and maintain their communication equipment on various properties and land. Telecoms operators are granted code powers by Ofcom. 

The Electronic Communications Code allows the operator in question to install new poles without notifying or seeking consent from the county council or planning authority. However, if the requirement involves a temporary traffic order (such as a lane closure), the operator must request access to highways from the county council highways team. Within this application, the operator need not specify the exact location of planned poles or seek permission for their installation.

In cases where there is strong local objection to planned works, we encourage the operator to find a solution that minimises costs to the public purse, while acknowledging that this consideration cannot outweigh other factors. It’s worth noting that the fibre route in question may not only serve houses directly along the route but could also be a fibre backhaul route connecting properties at a distance.

Help and Advice

Fibre providers can be contacted through their official websites. Visit the Providers page and click the logos to visit their websites.

If you still have questions about a fibre provider’s previous works, current works, or upcoming works, we have a dedicated team member who can answer most questions regarding the operational works of fibre providers. To get in touch with us, please visit our contact page.

What do I do if I require urgent assistance at the weekend?

If you are unable to contact a fibre provider and you need urgent assistance at the weekend, please contact our Fibre Liaison Officer, Mark Burgess, here.

In this section

Skip to content